Thursday, August 22, 2013

Gothic Culture

Usually when someone mentions the word gothic my mind shoots straight to Gothic architecture. However when they are talking about the subculture I instantly think of a person dressed in dark or black clothing with far too many piercings and wearing a downcast or pissed look. I am not a Goth myself so I am certainly no expert on the subculture and only have the view point of an outsider looking in. Generally I associate Goths with dark, depressing, or morbid subject matter, this covers all medias and mediums. In terms of films, I have watched maybe a handful that could be considered to fit the culture, I'd have to say films like those of Tim Burton. Also I think of music like death metal or any form of heavy metal to fit in very well with this subculture. Honestly, in my opinion, it seems that this type of music represents very much how Goths seems to view themselves next to the rest of society. Jarring, visually jarring at least. Their dress, their personas, their taste in art, seem to attempt to hold much of the real world at bay and keep them fixed in a mind set. Again the music can almost do this on its own. Again I have to say that what I write is based on assumptions with little to no exposure to the subculture itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment