Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Hobbit

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are by far my favorite fantasy novels. It is easy to see why JRR Tolkien is called the granddad of high fantasy. Though I am more a fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy for its more mature story line full of epic and emotional moments I do have to say I still like The Hobbit. Originally not written to be published and more just meant to be a hobby, it can not really say that it was written for a younger audience but it certainly captivated a younger age group when it was published. It's fun to read the book and hear names and descriptions of places that are so reminiscent of Northern european mythological places and people. These books were a way for Tolkien to bring to life a lost age of Europe, one of beauty, mystery, and magic. 
Though I have read The Hobbit multiple times in the past when I was rereading it this time I compares it to the new movie that was released. I realized that even though it was a great book not all books would make great films if they were made exactly like the book. In a book there is  time for descriptions of minute details and of peoples thoughts and emotions but in a movie there has to be some level of action, some driving force that makes the characters move onward. In the book the only thing that kept them motivated to move foreword was the prospect of reaching and reclaiming the mountain but in the movie there was that and the White Orc and his pack of worgs hunting the companions. Te me it seemed like a much needed addition to the story line for the sake of making the movie not seem dull. It also fills in a gap for the missing prologue in The Hobbit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment